TOYOTA GAZOO Racing (TGR) commenced sales of the all-new GR86 at GR Garage and Toyota dealers in Japan.
The GR86 was jointly developed with Subaru Corporation (Subaru). In September 2019, Toyota and Subaru entered into a new business and capital alliance, and have promoted their goal of making ever-better cars in new fields, such as by jointly developing the new Toyota bZ4X battery electric vehicle (BEV). But the two companies also share a desire to continue delivering the excitement, thrill, and joy of driving sports cars; to this end, they have also engaged in the joint development of sports cars that embody the unique qualities of both companies.
The GR86 shares the same base as the Subaru BRZ. However, Toyota focused on delivering the unique driving feel of a GR vehicle, with intuitive handling and instinctive responsiveness, linear response, and outstanding agility at the upper limits of performance. While carrying on the tradition of the 86 and engaging in friendly rivalry with Subaru’s BRZ development team, TGR sought to develop a vehicle that would realize a GR-like evolution. As a result, the new GR86 has been reborn as a car designed with outstanding driving feel that is both direct and satisfying.
To mark its launch, TGR will exhibit the new GR86 at FUJI 86 STYLE with BRZ 2021 (86 Style)1, which is hosted by Fuji International Speedway Co., Ltd. The event will provide fans with the chance to drive the new GR86 at the earliest opportunity2 and compare its ride with the Subaru BRZ, while other activities are planned to enable visitors to experience the driving feel of the GR86. Also, the event will be streamed live on TGR’s official YouTube channel.
1. Vehicle Outline
- With fender tops that extend horizontally to the beltline, the GR86 silhouette highlights its appeal as a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicle. Its low, horizontal underbody and narrow cabin rear combine to underline the breadth of the vehicle and its low center of gravity and hint at its intuitive responsiveness.
- The front of the vehicle features the GR-specific Functional MATRIX Grille, which fuses performance and emotionality. To mark its evolution from the 86 to the GR86, the GR86 logo has also been redesigned.
- The GR86 operating system―which includes the horizontally-accented instrument panel and various switches―is optimally located to enable the driver to focus on driving.
- Equipped with a BOXER Meter, comprising a 7-inch color screen and LCD meters, the car’s opening animation sequence is inspired by the piston movements of the GR86’s horizontally opposed engine and fosters a sense of excitement even before the drive begins.
- The meter display embodies the GR86’s sports performance, changing according to which driving mode is engaged. The NORMAL mode shows the current speed in large numbers inside a circular tachometer; in Sports mode (available on AT grades only), the edges and rings of the tachometer gauge turn red; TRACK mode takes inspiration from racing car displays, and shows engine speed in large numbers.
- The GR86 seats deliver a sensation of being at one with the vehicle. The lightweight front seats use independent pads used to support the body, and, in order to withstand the lateral and longitudinal g-forces generated during aggressive sports driving, they are covered in an extremely grippy material.
2. An evolutionary new horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine, equipped with D-4S
- Sporting a lightweight, compact engine with a low center-of-gravity in line with previous iterations, the GR86 increases its displacement size from 2.0 to 2.4L. The engine delivers superior driving performance as a consequence, achieving 0-100km/h acceleration in just 6.3 seconds―down from the 7.4 seconds of the previous model. Engine responsiveness has also been enhanced, providing smooth, stress-free sensations from low to high rpms.
- The GR86 is equipped with D-4S, a dedicated twin injector that optimally controls two types of injection according to driving conditions: direct injection, which directly injects fuel into the combustion chamber, and the more common port injection, which directly injects fuel into the intake port. D-4S combines with a horizontally opposed engine that incorporates variable valve timing, to deliver improved intake and exhaust efficiency.
3. Inheriting an extremely low center-of-gravity front-engine, rear-wheel-drive package, the new GR86 provides outstanding agility
- The dimensions of the new GR86 are almost identical to the previous model. However, by limiting both the overall height and hip-point of the vehicle, and by positioning the seats further toward its center, the car realizes a lower center-of-gravity and enhanced turning performance. Users can expect to experience a real sense of speed when accelerating, and feel as if the car is an extension of their bodies.
- Body rigidity has been improved, with the goal of offering pleasurable handling in all speed ranges―from urban driving to the upper limits of performance. Lateral bending has been improved by approximately 60% and torsional rigidity has been enhanced by approximately 50%, delivering nimble handling through high-speed corners and guaranteeing outstanding steering stability.
- The GR86 has been thoroughly lightened through increased use of high-tensile steel plates, and the adoption of an aluminum engine hood, engine underbody, roof, and front fenders.
4. Aerodynamic components rooted in motorsports
- The GR86 is fitted with front air outlets developed via motorsports feedback, as well as with side sill spoilers and a ducktail rear spoiler. As a result of repeated performance evaluations via both actual driving and wind tunnel facilities, the car couples superb front-end road-holding and rear-end stability with outstandingly responsive and steady handling.
5. A sports car that provides a secure and safe car life
- The GR86 is equipped with Subaru’s EyeSight5 Driver Assist Technology (AT grades only). Featuring pre-collision braking technologies that help avoid collisions and mitigate damage, the system provides support for safe everyday driving.
6. GR PARTS maximize the appeal of the GR86
TGR has prepared a selection of custom GR PARTS to maximize the appeal of the GR86. From everyday driving to sports driving, a wide-ranging parts line-up enables all customers to personalize their GR86.