Celebrity and athlete collaborations with brands have been a staple in the fashion and marketing industry for decades. From clothing collaborations to food and drink partnerships, these collaborations have led to some of the most iconic and recognisable products in the world. Here are some of the most memorable collaborations over the years:
Sports clothing collaborations:
- One of the most well-known collaborations for sportswear is the Michael Jordan x Nike partnership. In 1984, Nike signed a young basketball player named Michael Jordan, who was a rising star in the NBA. The famous collaboration led to the creation of the Air Jordan sneaker line, which is still one of the most popular and coveted sneaker collections today.
- An equally remarkable partnership is the Adidas x Kanye West collaboration. In 2015, Kanye West left Nike and joined Adidas, where he released the Yeezy Boost sneaker line. The collaboration has been extremely successful, with the Yeezy brand becoming a major player in the sneaker industry.
- Other collaborations like this include the Puma x Rihanna partnership, which led to the creation of the Fenty Puma line, and the Reebok x Victoria Beckham collaboration, which produced a line of women’s athletic wear.
Food and drink collaborations:
- One of the most popular collaborations in the food and drink industry is the McDonald’s x Travis Scott partnership. In 2020, McDonald’s partnered with rapper Travis Scott to create a limited-time meal that included a Quarter Pounder with cheese, bacon, and lettuce, as well as fries, and a Sprite. The partnership was so successful that McDonald’s ran out of ingredients and had to end the promotion early.
- The Coca-Cola x Stranger Things partnership was another well-known collaboration that sparked the interest of fans worldwide. In 2019, Coca-Cola partnered with the hit Netflix show Stranger Things to release a limited-edition line of New Coke. The partnership was a huge success and helped to bring back the iconic 1980s version of the soft drink.
- Other collaborations in this category include the Ben & Jerry’s x Jimmy Fallon partnership, which led to the creation of the ice cream flavor ‘The Tonight Dough’, as well as the Starbucks x Lady Gaga partnership, which produced a line of summer drinks.
- Considering beauty collaborations, Clinique partnered with Holly Aitchison, a professional rugby player from England, to promote the confidence of girls in their own skin through sports and skincare. To promote the benefits of sports on girls’ wellbeing, Clinique launched the #GameFace campaign, which will award four grassroots girls’ rugby clubs with support packages worth up to £10,000 each, including equipment, education, and travel funding. Holly Aitchison is the face of the campaign, sharing her personal experience with low self-esteem and how rugby and skincare have helped her feel more confident.
- Another notable collaboration was Abby Roberts X Morphe. The successful TikToker partnered with Morpe to bring out her own makeup collection, The Artcasts. The collection included a liner palette, brush sets and 35-pan artistry palette which consists of a range of bright and bold shades. This was a huge achievement for the influencer, who has followed the brand since she was young, creating makeup looks since the age of 11. Roberts wanted to encourage self-expression with her designs to all of her followers and aspiring makeup artists.
- As well as this, Johnny Depp was a notable face for the Dior fragrance Sauvage which was named ‘the world’s top fragrance’ due to its endless popularity. Despite the fragrance being released back in 2015, Depp is still a prominent face for Dior, renewing his contract with them in 2022 and still appearing on their home page.