The new SEAT Ateca is the perfect companion for a multi-faceted and active lifestyle. The Spanish brand’s first SUV is utterly compelling, with its own unique character and wide-ranging versatility. Its design is purposeful and refined, while its high-quality interior makes every trip a true pleasure. The extensive package of state-of-the-art assistance systems and technologies improves safety and comfort, and makes the Ateca one of the most innovative SUVs in its segment. Outstanding quality, precision production and very attractive value-for-money mean the Ateca is also a true SEAT.
“The new Ateca is a major part of our new brand strategy for sustaining long-term profitability. With this SUV in our line-up, SEAT is certain to continue its current growth trajectory and its highly successful brand image improvement,” says Luca de Meo, Chairman of the Executive Committee of SEAT, S.A. “It also marks the start of the biggest product offensive SEAT has ever undertaken. The SUV-segment is the fastest growing segment and the Ateca symbolises a major step forward in making it the third pillar of the company, alongside the Ibiza and Leon families“.
The SEAT Ateca will be available before summer in Germany and Spain and progressively thereafter in other markets. It will come with petrol and diesel engines ranging from 85 kW / 115 PS to 140 kW / 190 PS, with either front-wheel or all-wheel drive, and with manual or DSG transmissions. The extensive array of technology options extends from Full LED headlamps through a broad portfolio of assistance systems, like the innovative Traffic Jam Assist and the new Emergency Assist, to a package of latest-generation infotainment systems with 8-inch touchscreens and Full Link connectivity. Three equipment lines offer colours and top-quality materials to suit every taste, with the top-of-the-range being the Ateca XCELLENCE.
“The new Ateca is a real SUV with strong SEAT DNA, perfect for urban use and with outstanding off-road capabilities. It offers a great driving experience, reinforced by an unmatchable array of driving aids amongst its extensive technology packages.” says Dr. Matthias Rabe, Vice President of SEAT, S.A. responsible for Research and Development. “The Ateca offers best-inclass functionality thanks to its boot capacity, comfort-oriented interior space and of course in terms of connectivity with its new 8” touchscreen packed with infotainment and navigation functions such as the SEAT Full Link system, the exclusive technology from our brand.”
In keeping with SEAT tradition, the Ateca derives its name from Spanish geography, this time from a village which lies to the west of Zaragoza in the heart of the Iberian mainland.
Design – Emotion made in Barcelona
The Ateca’s design is utterly unmistakeable. As an SUV, too, the typical SEAT design language is a striking combination of dynamism and functionality. Many elements, like the trapezoidal grille, the side blister with their minimum radii and maximum sharpness and the triangular light signatures, are typical of brand icons, such as the Leon. Yet every single detail has been carefully developed to the next level for the Ateca.
” The Ateca is a car that could only have been created in Barcelona – by a brand that’s on the move and with a design that combines passion with precision,” says Alejandro Mesonero-Romanos, Head of SEAT Design. “The design of the Ateca displays clear tension and conveys forceful energy. This joy of performance is reflected in every detail and shows the powerful SEAT character.”
The front end of the Ateca is therefore 100 per cent SEAT and yet 100 per cent SUV. The large, high grille brims with self confidence, while the sharply defined lights and substantial air intakes leave no doubt as to the Ateca’s dynamic credentials. At the same time, the SEAT SUV maintains a broad, muscular stance that exudes solidity and reliability.
Full LED headlamps with a clear signature
Typical SEAT features include the optional full-LED headlamps with their attractive light colour and excellent luminance. Combined with the triangular signature of the LED daytime running lights, the overall impact is immediately distinguishable as a SEAT product. In the Ateca, the indicator lamps also form an integral part of this signature.
State-of-the-art technology and an emotional experience go hand-in-hand in the SEAT Ateca. One example is the “welcome light”. As soon as you unlock the doors, LEDs in the exterior mirrors illuminate the area close to the door sills, projecting the Ateca’s name and silhouette onto the ground.
The side profile clearly conveys the dynamics and performance of the new SEAT. The precise crease lines interact with sensually flowing forms, such as those around the lower door section, demonstrating not only the designers’ fine feel for form, but also the expertise of SEAT’s toolmakers and production specialists. Slightly rectangular wheel arches framed in black provide an imposing setting for wheels measuring up to 19 inches in diameter. Meanwhile, the window line framed in chrome and with a kink along the rear edge of the side window gives the car an even longer and more elegant line. The exterior mirrors sit on the door shoulders – a detail usually seen only on sports cars.
Likewise, typical of SEAT is the highly sculpted rear with the licence plate recess set low down. The LED lights are pulled slightly upwards on the outer edges to emphasize the Ateca’s powerful shoulders. The very low loading lip also points towards the high level of attention paid to optimum functionality.
Interior conveys refined sporting character
The interior harmonises perfectly with the exterior design. The interior, too, combines elegantly refined, but nonetheless, dynamic character with that unique feeling of solidity and safety so highly prized by SUV drivers. Key factors are the raised seating position as well as the clearly visible vehicle front end and solid door strips.
The cockpit has a horizontal line with a clear driver focus. The controls are grouped closely together, while the read outs, suchas the infotainment display measuring up to eight inches, are just a brief glance away. The high centre console is a further example of how well the Ateca combines the SUV sense of proximity and solidity with the agile feeling of a shortened gearstick. Light is another special feature of the interior. The new ambient lighting with “waterfall” look in the doors gives passengers a choice of eight different colours to adapt to personal preferences.
Excellent use of space with plenty of room
At an exterior length of 4.36 metres, the Ateca offers the best use of space in the segment, with maximum interior length and a luggage compartment that holds 510 litres in its standard configuration or 485 litres in the 4Drive versions. A double load floor is available for keeping things in order, while the folding rear seats can be operated from the luggage compartment, providing easy and versatile use of the interior space. The bodyshell is outstanding not only for its wide-ranging versatility, but also for its intelligent lightweight design. Incredibly stiff, the Ateca is also among the lightest vehicles in its segment, which delivers an agile driving experience not only in urban traffic conditions.
Technology – Innovative highlights in the Ateca
Once the driver has stepped inside, the illuminated ring around the start button pulsates like a heartbeat – indicating the Ateca is all set for its next road-going adventure. The SEAT Drive Profile is on-hand for adapting the Ateca to the current driving situation, road conditions and personal preference – with the Driving Experience Button on the centre console offering the profiles Normal, Sport, Eco and Individual. The Ateca models with 4Drive have the added benefit of Snow and Offroad profiles as well as the Hill Descent Control function. A further convenient feature is the electric tailgate, which can be opened with a foot gesture and – for the first time – closed again the same way. Another convenience option is a pre-programmable? climate control system .The range of innovative driver assistance systems is extensive:
• Traffic Jam Assist: This assistance function makes progress in heavy stop-and-go traffic far more bearable. At full-blown “traffic jam speeds”, the Ateca steers, accelerates and brakes automatically within the system boundaries. At higher speeds of up to around 60 km/h, the system provides support with speed control and lane keeping. However, the driver’s hands have to stay on the wheel. (the product ad/ video doesn’t show this – lady has her hands in her hair. Is it 100% true?)
How it works: The systems that form the basis of Traffic Jam Assist are Lane Assist and the ACC adaptive cruise control. Traffic Jam Assist also offers the function of adaptive lane keeping at speeds of less than 60 km/h. The system not only countersteers to correct when the Ateca leaves its lane, Lane Assist also keeps the SUV in the centre of the lane or alternatively “learns” the driver’s preferred position. The ACC adaptive cruise control is likewise incorporated into Traffic Jam Assist, meaning that braking and accelerating is handled automatically when ACC is active in stop-and-go traffic. ACC and Lane Assist merge to become Traffic Jam Assist, which enables assisted guidance both laterally and longitudinally. The car thus steers, accelerates and brakes automatically – albeit only as long as the driver has his/her hands on the steering wheel and is ready and able to intervene at all times.
• ACC with Front Assist: The radar-controlled ACC adaptive cruise control system automatically regulates the distance to the vehicle in front within the system boundaries. On long motorway journeys in particular, it plays a major role in relieving driver stress and aiding relaxation. Within a certain speed range, the integrated Front Assist can provide autonomous braking in dangerous situations.
One part of the Front Assist system is the City Emergency Brake function with Pedestrian Protection. While Front Assist operates at higher speeds to warn against driving too close to the vehicle in front and potential collisions, automatically braking the vehicle if required, the City Emergency Brake system handles this task in urban traffic. Previously, the City Emergency Brake system only recognized vehicles. In the new Ateca, the system has been developed further to also react to pedestrians.
And this is how the system works:
o Safety on the motorway:
o Safety in the city:
• Traffic Sign Recognition: Never miss another speed limit or traffic restriction thanks to the on-board camera and display. Traffic signs are reliably recognized and displayed in the cockpit and on the navigation screen.
• Blind Spot Detection: Changing lane is made safer with the practical blind spot assistant. Two radar sensors monitor traffic behind the Ateca on both sides, with a visual signal then relayed in the exterior mirror to warn against vehicles approaching in the blind spot.
• Rear Cross Traffic Alert: Backing out of a parking space is a critical manoeuvre, as approaching vehicles are often difficult to spot. Radar sensors monitor cross traffic and warn against potential collisions.
Rear Traffic Alert thus revolutionises the process of reversing out of parking spots perpendicular to the road by identifying vehicles approaching from the side. The reverse parking assistant’s radar-based sensor module registers objects at distances of up to 25 metres. The reverse parking assistant is activated as soon as reverse gear is engaged or by the optional Park Distance Control’s Button (PDC) is pressed. If there is a threat of collision, the reverse parking assistant initially issues a visual warning, which is then followed by an acoustic warning. If the driver does not address the situation and there is a danger of a direct collision, the reverse parking assistant activates an automatic braking intervention that can mitigate the severity of the accident.
• Top View: Four cameras in the front grille, rear bumper and both exterior mirrors cover the entire area around the Ateca, with the image displayed on the monitor as a bird’s eye view, making tight parking spaces far easier to negotiate. There is also additional protection for the precious alloy wheels – one of the four image modes shows one front or all four wheels with lines indicating their proximity to the kerb.
• Park Assist 3.0: The latest version of the parking assistant ensures stress-free parking in every situation – now supporting both parallel and perpendicular parking. The system also uses small parking spaces, calculates the best path, steers itself and warns against obstacles.
How it works: On pushing the Park Assist button to activate, the driver only has to operate the accelerator and brake pedals as well as the gearshift (including clutch in the case of a manual gearbox), while Park Assist automatically guides the Ateca into the parking space. The system autonomously identifies the type of parking space and initiates the corresponding manoeuvre. While this is happening, the driver is kept informed and provided with directions via the multi-function display. The driver can use the Park Assist activation button to manually select the preferred parking space from those automatically identified. Park Assist’s base function has been further improved through the use of a new, so-called surroundings map. Sensors that detect the direction of rotation of the wheels make it possible to determine the precise position of the Ateca, making the parking manoeuvre more accurate than ever.
• Emergency Assist: This is a new function initiated in situations such as a medical emergency: If the driver remains inactive beyond a certain period, the vehicle issues first a visual then an acoustic warning, followed finally by a brief pulse of the brakes. If there is still no reaction, the Ateca slows down to a standstill, while staying in lane and activating the hazard lights and the electronic parking brake.
• High Beam Assist: This assistance system guarantees optimum illumination of the road ahead – particularly in combination with the powerful LED headlamps – without dazzling or disturbing oncoming traffic. The camera in the housing of the rear-view mirror identifies traffic travelling closely in front or oncoming and dims the headlamps accordingly.
The highest level of connectivity
Connectivity, the constant connection with the digital world, is a major part of a modern, urban lifestyle for many people. The SEAT Ateca offers the very highest level of connectivity – with the latest generation of Easy Connect infotainment systems, SEAT Full Link and the exclusive SEAT ConnectApp:
• Media System plus, with its eight-inch screen, is the highlight of the new-generation infotainment systems. It provides a significantly clearer and more precise view of navigation and infotainment content.
• The Connectivity Box in the centre console of the SEAT Ateca is easy to reach and for the first time enables wireless smartphone charging and, thanks to automatic coupling with the roof antenna, ensures better reception. It incorporates two USB ports for parallel connection of MirrorLink-capable smartphones and external music players. It incorporates two USB ports for parallel connection of MirrorLink-capable smartphones and external music
• SEAT Full Link is the connectivity world for users of virtually all smartphones. Alongside MirrorLink, Full Link also incorporates the functions of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. MirrorLink is the perfect technology for operating smartphones and many of their functions and apps safely via the Ateca’s infotainment system. It “mirrors” the smartphone screen on the touchscreen and can be used seamlessly with a growing number of MirrorLink-compatible Android smartphones.
• The exclusive SEAT ConnectApp makes perfect use of MirrorLink integration. The driver is “always on”, yet remains fully concentrated on the road ahead. One central function is “Voice Replay”. This text-reading function converts messages from sources such as e-mail, text messages, Facebook and Twitter accounts into speech, reading them out loudly and clearly. Answers can be “dictated” by voice command. Another exclusive function is gesture control, whereby functions can be activated simply with just a small finger gesture on the touchscreen.
Dynamics – Unique driving fun
Impressive driving fun is at the core of the SEAT brand. The Leon in particular is a unique combination of precision and agility with comfort and safety, as confirmed by enthusiastic customer reactions and numerous comparison tests carried out by trade journalists across Europe. The Ateca is no less impressive when it comes to fulfilling this promising combination. With its compact character, powerful engines and perfectly tuned suspension, it offers performance and handling that sets a new benchmark among its SUV competitors. And it fits perfectly into a varied urban lifestyle.
The Ateca’s dynamic drive comes courtesy of a palette of state-of-the-art power units – all of them turbocharged. Ranging from 85 kW / 115 PS to 140 kW / 190 PS with outstanding torque figures across the board, they meet every possible performance desire. The array of diesel engines starts with the 1.6 TDI and 115 PS. The 2.0 TDI is available with 150 and 190 PS. Consumption figures range from 4.2 to 5.1litres / 100 km, the CO2 figures from 111 to 131grams / km. The entry level petrol engine is the 1.0 TSI with 115 PS. The 1.4 TSI comes with cylinder deactivation under partial load and produces 150 PS. The consumption and emissions figures for these engines are between 5.2 and 6.2 litres and between 119 to 143 grams. The TDI and TSI engines with 150 PS are available with DSG or with 4Drive, while the TDI with 190 PS comes as standard with DSG and 4Drive.
The TSI engines in the SEAT Ateca:
|1.0 TSI||1.4 TSI||1.4 TSI
|Nm @ rpm||200
* Preliminary SEAT Ateca values
The TDI engines in the SEAT Ateca:
|1.6 TDI||2.0 TDI||2.0 TDI
|Nm @ rpm||250
* Preliminary SEAT Ateca values
** 1.0 TSI 85 kW & 2.0 TDI 110kW 4WD are official values
4Drive for all eventualities
The Ateca’s all-wheel drive is among the most modern and efficient systems of its kind in the world. SEAT uses a newly developed multi-plate coupling with hydraulic actuation and electronic control – a fifth-generation Haldex coupling. It reacts extremely quickly to all conceivable driving situations to deliver a clear benefit in active safety and handling.
Equipment – XCELLENCE at the top of the Ateca range
The SEAT Ateca is offered initially in three equipment lines. The entry-level Reference line offers not only an attractive price, but all the features needed in everyday life, such as air conditioning, the Media System touch with a five-inch screen the electric parking brake as well as safety systems like seven airbags, drowsiness detection, tyre pressure monitoring and Front Assist for the EU countries. The Style line comes with extras such as 17-inch alloy wheels, LED rear lights, Climatronic, a leather steering wheel, back seat release mechanism boot and rear parking sensors.
The new highlight is the XCELLENCE top-of-the-range version. This variant of the Ateca has a particularly distinctive and comfortable look-and-feel with Alcantara upholstery (leather optional), extensive trim elements and multi-colour ambient lighting. On the outside, the Ateca XCELLENCE literally gleams with roof rails and window frames in chrome, a high-gloss black grille, dark tinted windows and 18-inch alloy wheels. The standard technology package in the XCELLENCE includes full-LED headlamps with welcome light, SEAT Drive Profile, , rear parking sensors, and Kessy and go system and the top view camera as optional. All these intelligent technologies make the Ateca your best companion for your urban challenges.