Ooredoo Qatar has selected Nokia to build a 5G cloud native core network to support delivery of enhanced mobile broadband services. Nokia’s solution will be deployed in Ooredoo’s state-of-the-art datacenters in Qatar’s capital city Doha.
The cloud-based architecture for core network is scalable, agile and flexible, making it reliable and suitable for extreme mobile broadband and massive/critical machine communication services. Nokia AirFrame, CloudBand, voice and Cloud Packet Core VNFs, and Nuage Networks Software Defined Network (SDN) are being deployed in the core network.
Ooredoo Qatar has emerged as a leader in the global 5G ecosystem and has already tested a number of exciting 5G use cases, including 5G aerial taxis and drones. The company is waiting for the availability of 5G devices to roll out commercial 5G services in the near future. This initiative with Nokia takes Ooredoo Qatar closer to bringing innovative 5G use cases to its customers.
Yousuf Abdulla Al Kubaisi, Chief Operating Officer, Ooredoo Qatar, said:
Overview of the solution
- Nokia AirFrame datacenter solution allows service providers to benefit from the IT and open source domains to create a scalable and distributed cloud-based architecture. Nokia AirFrame supports Open Compute Project and helps to bring down energy consumption and to improve cost-effectiveness.
- Virtualized Network Functions (VNFs) include Mobile Core for Voice, with Cloud Packet Core,Subscriber Management Registers and Policy control on a cloud platform.
- Nokia CloudBand tames virtual infrastructure management complexity and cost while managing the lifecycles of virtual network functions.
- Nokia NetAct gives the service provider a consolidated view of multi-domain, multi-technology networks, which ensures the best network experience in the 5G era.
- Nuage Networks from Nokia SDN solutions enable datacenter network automation.
- Nokia Professional services ensures a smooth migration from legacy core to Nokia’s virtualized core network.
- Web page: Nokia 5G Core
- Whitepaper: Unconstrained data center networks for the cloud era Advertisement
- Blog: What’s central to the success of 5G? The core network of course
About Ooredoo Qatar
Ooredoo is Qatar’s leading communications company, delivering mobile, fixed, broadband internet and corporate managed services tailored to the needs of consumers and businesses. As a community-focused company, Ooredoo is guided by its vision of enriching people’s lives and its belief that it can stimulate human growth by leveraging communications to help people achieve their full potential.
We create the technology to connect the world. We develop and deliver the industry’s only end-to-end portfolio of network equipment, software, services and licensing that is available globally. Our customers include communications service providers whose combined networks support 6.1 billion subscriptions, as well as enterprises in the private and public sector that use our network portfolio to increase productivity and enrich lives.