With the new Mercedes-AMG SL 43 (combined fuel consumption 9.4–8.9 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions 214–201 g/km) , entry into the iconic world of the sporty roadster is possible from just 118,708.45 euros. This is the base price for the 2+2-seater with agile rear-wheel drive, which is now available to order. The extensive standard equipment includes the electrically operated multilayer fabric soft top, 19‑inch AMG alloy wheels, DIGITAL LIGHT, the AMG high-performance composite braking system and the AIRPANEL active air control system. Added to this are the active rear spoiler, the “hyperanalogue” cockpit with MBUX infotainment system and tilt-adjustable multimedia touchscreen, as well as comfort seats with ARTICO man-made leather and fabric. The numerous options allow for a wide range of possibilities for individualisation. The AMG 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine develops 280 kW (381 hp) and provides a maximum torque of 480 Nm. An electric exhaust gas turbocharger is being used here in a production vehicle for the first time anywhere in the world. This technology originated in Formula 1™ and guarantees particularly spontaneous responsiveness across the entire rev range. The turbocharger is powered by the 48-volt on-board electrical system, which also feeds the belt-driven starter generator (RSG) that provides an additional boost of 10 kW (14 hp) for a short time. Accelerating from 0 to 100 km/h takes just 4.9 seconds, while the top speed is limited to 275 km/h.
The exterior design of the SL 43 differs in individual details from the two eight-cylinder models. For example, it has differentiated front and rear aprons as well as round instead of angular double tailpipe trim. The defining features of the SL body design include the long wheelbase, the short overhangs, the long bonnet, the passenger compartment set further back with steeply raked windscreen, and the powerful rear end. This results in the typical SL proportions. Opening and closing the three-layer fabric soft top takes only about 15 seconds thanks to the space-saving Z-fold, and is possible up to a speed of 60 km/h.
With its innovative engine concept, the new entry-level model of the 2+2-seater roadster is also aimed at particularly tech-savvy buyers. The combination of a lightweight four-cylinder engine on the front axle and rear-wheel drive permits the SL 43 to display very particular handling characteristics. A fascinating example of the extensive transfer between Formula 1™ technology and the development of production vehicles is provided by the electric exhaust turbocharger. The technology increases agility and thus driving fun, while at the same time improving the efficiency of the drive system.
A thin electric motor, measuring just four centimetres, is integrated directly on the turbocharger shaft between the turbine wheel on the exhaust side and the compressor wheel on the intake side. This drives the shaft of the turbocharger directly and thus accelerates the compressor wheel before the exhaust gas flow takes over the drive in the conventional way. As a result, the combustion engine reacts even more spontaneously to accelerator pedal commands, and the overall driving experience is more dynamic. In addition, the electrification of the turbocharger enables higher torque at low revs.
Optional equipment and features: from sportily dynamic to luxuriously elegant
Numerous options mean a wide range of possibilities for individualising the new entry-level Mercedes‑AMG SL 43. Here are a select few.
Exterior design packages:
- AMG Aerodynamics package with larger flics on the front and rear bumpers and larger rear diffuser. Modified speed thresholds of the rear spoiler as well as steeper approach angle of 26.5 degrees (instead of 22 degrees) in the Dynamic position: 3,332.00 euros
- AMG Exterior Carbon-Fibre package with front splitter, flics in the front bumper and trim strip in the longitudinal member panel made of carbon fibre. Tailpipe trims in high-gloss black, trim in the diffuser in carbon fibre or high-gloss black: 5,712.00 euros
- AMG Exterior Chrome package with elements in high-gloss chrome on the front apron and side sill panels and at the rear end: 1,130.50 euros
- AMG Night package with front splitter, side sill panels, mirror caps and trim element in the rear diffuser in high-gloss black. Added to this are darkened tailpipe trims: 892.50 euros
- AMG Night package II with radiator grille, typography and Mercedes star at the rear in high-gloss black: 654.50 euros
- Exclusive SL colour hyper blue metallic: 1,178.10 euros
- Exclusive SL colour AMG monza grey magno: 2,618.00 euros
- 20-inch AMG multi-spoke light-alloy wheels: 1,725.50 euros
- 21-inch AMG forged wheels in 10-twin-spoke design: 4,641.00 euros
- Burmester® surround sound system: 1,416.10euros
- Seat upholstery in black nappa leather: 3,272.50euros
- Seat upholstery in MANUFAKTUR macchiato beige/titanium grey nappa leather or MANUFAKTUR truffle brown/black: 4,403.00euros
- AMG Performance seats: 2,320.50euros
- AMG Performance steering wheel in nappa leather/DINAMICA microfibre: 499.80euros
- AMG RIDE CONTROL suspension with adaptive adjustable damping: 2,082.50euros
- Active rear-wheel steering: 2,261.00euros
- AMG DYNAMIC PLUS Package: 4,819.50euros, includes:
- AMG RIDE CONTROL suspension with adaptive adjustable damping
- Dynamic AMG engine mounts
- Electronically controlled AMG rear-axle limited-slip differential
- Additional “RACE” mode
- Lowering by ten millimetres
- AMG brake callipers painted yellow
Source: Mercedes Benz