- Secures critical business documents and maintains protection as data moves across devices
- Provides IT with the authority to enact data leakage prevention, digital rights management and file access monitoring
- Expands visibility of where and how businesses access their data with granular policy controls capabilities
Dell Inc. announced the release of Dell Data Protection | Secure Lifecycle, the next-generation data protection solution to protect business data wherever they travel. The latest addition to the Dell Data Security Solutions portfolio, Secure Lifecycle protect critical business data at all stages of the lifecycle – at rest, in motion, and in use – whether inside or outside of a network. It also provides the ability to define access rights at a granular level, giving IT leaders the authority to restrict individual file access rights only to those that ‘need to know.’
Secure Lifecycle combines multiple functionalities into an integrated solution: data encryption, file access monitoring, DLP (data leakage prevention) and DRM (digital rights management), to provide data protection with a single console. Existing solutions address only elements of data security and are unable to protect data that leave an organization’s environment. Among its most important capabilities is delivering visibility into where data are, regardless of where they have moved. It provides ubiquitous coverage across devices and operating systems, safeguarding files on external storage such as USB keys and major public cloud services, as well as on iOS and Android smartphones and tablets via a secure file container.
“In the modern work environment, data travel between people and devices. Securing and encrypting these data, not just at rest, but in motion and in use, has become critical to maintaining integrity and control,” said Brett Hansen, vice president, Dell Endpoint Data Security and Management. “Dell Data Protection | Secure Lifecycle protects data at all stages of the lifecycle and provides the visibility and confidence for organizations to embrace the mobile workforce—securely.”
The majority of today’s organizations recognize the importance of a robust cybersecurity program. Yet many struggle to maintain visibility into how often and from where outside actors are accessing their data, as well as understand how their current policies may be limiting productivity or exposing potential threats. The average company has up to 89 third-party vendors accessing their company’s network each week, with each outside access bringing individual risks to data not properly protected. In addition, the recent Dell Data Security Survey shows that 80 percent of midsize organizations are concerned about uploading files to popular public cloud platforms.
Dell Data Protection | Secure Lifecycle provides a heightened level of encryption, which matches the realities of the modern workplace by providing:
- Full visibility: Organizations can understand where and how critical business information is being used, leaked or lost. IT departments can access reports and sophisticated metadata to triangulate more accurately if and when nefarious behavior occurs. The console gives visibility into other files that were shared with the suspected bad actor, and by which employee, reducing the time it takes to uncover potential violations.
- Granular policy controls: Through comprehensive digital rights functionality, IT departments can enact more granular management over their data for better control of how documents are being viewed and even set individual rights for different users viewing the same document. This equips organizations to manage exactly who can read, edit, print or share data, as well as set embargoes and expiry times over when the data are permissible to view. The management console also allows for rights to be revoked, immediately removing the ability of a specified person to open the file.
- Protection of Microsoft Office files: Transparent encryption policies protect data in motion across PCs, smartphones and tablet devices. At the same time, shared data are secure across common collaborative tools such as Box and Dropbox. The solution also ensures all Word, Excel and PowerPoint files are fully encrypted while in motion and in use, providing businesses with continuous security for their most valuable data.
- Easy use across all devices: The solution allows employees to download secure mobile protection from their app store, enhancing manageability for IT departments. Further, office plug-ins run seamlessly with Microsoft Office 2010 and upward, allowing for improved collaboration with colleagues outside an organization.
Dell Data Protection | Secure Lifecycle will be available Dec. 1, 2016, in the United States and select countries.
About Dell Inc.
Dell Inc., a part of Dell Technologies, provides customers of all sizes – including 98 percent of the Fortune 500 – with a broad, innovative portfolio from edge to core to cloud. Dell Inc. comprises Dell client as well as Dell EMC infrastructure offerings that enable organizations to modernize, automate and transform their data center while providing today’s workforce and consumers what they need to securely connect, produce, and collaborate from anywhere at any time.