A bit of history
In the middle of the last century, the middle class lived in small individual apartments and communal dwellings. The furnishings were restrained and even modest, the furniture was used in mass production, and the decor was bought.
As a result, the contemporary style in the interior of the apartment began to personify a laconic setting with interior items in different styles.
Another factor that contributed to the formation of the direction is the active promotion of the ideas of designers to create practical, roomy, and inexpensive furniture designed for the general public.
At the end of the last century, such furniture was in many apartments around the world. Contemporary (style in the interior) remains popular today, as it allows you to combine modern furniture with household items in different styles and even from other eras.
Our experts believe that the direction has all the prospects to remain popular for a long time. This is also facilitated by the fact that there will always be a wide range of up-to-date, fashionable furniture and a variety of decor.
The genre also implies a combination of objects and decor from different eras, with different meanings. But in eclecticism, there are no boundaries, what can be modern, and what is from another era.
For example, antique furniture will be combined with modern finishes. The design of an apartment in the contemporary style implies a combination of modern furniture and decor items and household items from past eras.
Similar styles and their differences from contemporary
It also provides for a mixture of styles, but necessarily in such a way that the atmosphere is perceived as a whole. Even if completely different cultures are mixed – African decor can coexist with Provencal furniture or complement high-tech decor.
The difference between the directions lies in the fact that the contemporary is not characterized by pronounced contrasts or outdated furniture with limited practicality. The difference is in the period of inception. Fusion appeared a little later – in the 70s – 80s of the 20th century.
It, like the direction under consideration, provides for simplicity, brevity and the presence of functional furniture.
However, the Scandinavian style is characterized by the predominance of white and cold shades. The decor is minimal, without exotic elements. The Scandinavian style arose a little earlier – in the 30s of the 20th century.
Ideas and features of contemporary
- Modern contemporary does not follow strict observance of the rules of any era.
- For arranging an apartment in the contemporary style, dwellings in ordinary panel houses are perfect.
- Free space. Where it is possible, do not make partitions and walls.
- Mass-produced functional furniture.
- Simple and uncluttered furnishings.
- The predominance of light shades, coffee, brown, white. Bright blotches in the form of furniture or decor elements are acceptable.
- The contemporary design prefers simple and regular shapes and lines.
- Decor in the form of paintings, photographs, and souvenirs does not become the center of attention in the room but only gives it comfort. It should not clutter up space and interfere with a comfortable pastime.
- The furniture is mainly folding and roomy – cabinet and folding sofas. Also, it should feature modern sleek, and minimalistic design.
- On the windows, there are blinds, light tulle, or curtains.
- In a contemporary bedroom dominate cream and coffee shades. You can decorate the bedroom so that you can easily change its appearance.
The contemporary style in the kitchen interior will be emphasized kitchen set with a glossy or matte finish