The media and entertainment industry will look very different in the next three years. People will be watching and sharing content on 11 billion video devices. Media companies and broadcasters will see their data center traffic triple, as they offer more content for on-demand viewing.
According to the Cisco Visual Networking Index™ (VNI), this will contribute to an expected 4X increase in Internet video traffic.
Content creators, providers and distributors are looking for technology solutions that will help them strengthen audience engagement with direct and personalized content experiences across more devices, while simplifying operations and reducing costs.
At NAB 2016, Cisco is unveiling its Media Blueprint – a set of infrastructure and software solutions that powers cloud scale media experiences, accelerating the creation, delivery and monetization of immersive content.
Cisco Media Blueprint solutions enable content providers and broadcasters to produce, store, distribute and secure premium video. It is based on open standards and is supported by many of the media industry’s key software providers.
Cisco is introducing several new solutions for the Media Blueprint that are paired with recently announced cloud video and security solutions. These solutions are being implemented by global media customers including NBC Olympics, CBS News Digital and more.
New Media Infrastructure Solutions:
IP Fabric for Media
- Scalable IP networking solution optimized for broadcast media production based on Cisco Nexus® switches and SDN Controllers to enable the migration from SDI to IP.
NFV Infrastructure for Media Data Center
- Virtualized data center platform based on Cisco UCS® and OpenStack with optimizations for media applications and workloads.
D9800 Network Transport Receiver
- Next-generation platform for the secure delivery of broadcast content from a modular hardware design, supporting a broad set of applications for primary video distribution.
Recently Launched Consumer Experience Solutions:
- Infinite Video: A cloud-based over-the-top (OTT) video solution that supports delivery of TV experiences direct to the consumer to a wide range of devices.
- VideoGuard™ Everywhere security: Provides digital rights management, media anti-piracy, and authentication to enable direct-to-consumer experiences across platforms and devices.
This unique combination of products and solutions enables video deployments across hybrid cloud environments, combining private cloud, managed services, and Cisco® cloud software-as-a-service (SaaS) delivery.
“Cisco has been a great partner in helping architect our plans to uniquely combine IP and cloud hardware and software components to better engage with our audiences, and distribute more video content experiences to more devices,” said Craig Lau, vice president of Technology, NBC Sports & Olympics.
“We have designed a media-optimized infrastructure that can help our customers deliver immersive OTT experiences rapidly and securely to multiple devices,” said Dave Ward, CTO of Engineering, Service Provider business and chief architect, Cisco. ‘With this new approach combining new and existing IP video and cloud solutions, we can offer seamless orchestration of video workflows from an open platform, supporting Cisco and third party functionality.”
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected.